Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Decemberists Tale



[Wait! Wait! Don't forget to vote for your favorite non-fiction books! The action is here.]

At the recent Family5000 Reunion, Niece #2 went out shopping and came back with a copy of the concert video The Decemberists: A Practical Handbook.

And really, that's a pretty good story right there. Because YOUR nieces probably listen to, what? The latest crippy-crap Brittney Spears clone that Central Marketing has mandated as this year's teen sensation? Or, if you're lucky, thug hiphop lite? Well, MY neices listen to the Decemberists. Envy me.

Anyway: Nieces #1-3 troop off to screen the video. But then, Niece #1 reappears almost immediately to tell me I better come take a look at this. So I follow her upstairs.

In the screening room, my brother-in-law solemnly restarts the video.

I see the following:

  • The opening shot: the Roseland Theater's sign reflected in a mud puddle.
  • The second shot: the Roseland Theater sign, right side up.
  • The third shot: A caption reading "The Roseland Theater, Portland, Oregon, November 2005"

  • And then, the surprising fourth shot: Myself and Mrs. 5000.

Granted, we are seen at the beginning of a pan across the crowd. We are two people among many. But, we are easily the most prominent people in the shot. We are visible for litterally seconds.

Now, it must be said that several times during the reunion, my nieces witnessed me doing things that were not only solidly adult, but arguably quite square. For example, I was visibly excited to receive a water filtration system as a birthday gift. I demonstrated concern about safety on several occasions. I may have discussed property values. I occasionally used the word "square."

Given this kind of thing, and yet that one always hopes for some quirky-but-maybe-kind-of-cool-uncle cred with the nieces, it certainly can't hurt to show up in their rock videos.

8 comments:

fingerstothebone said...

Wow, I know someone who's in a rock video! I hope you weren't picking your nose.

Beth Handley said...

Those nieces of yours are being raised right! hehe.

chuckdaddy2000 said...

Do you think they would've felt the saem way if you'd been a Brittney Spears video?

Jenny! said...

Your a cool square though! Filtration is important...damnit!

Rebel said...

My neice listens to Hannah Montana... but she's only 8 so I think there's still time. =)

Michael5000 said...

@fingers: We looked like credible, non nose-picking rock music fans, as best as I could tell.

@beth: It's the good parenting what done it.

@chuck: If I'd been in a Brittney Spears video, they probably never would have known. That's the beauty of the thing.

@jenny!: I so agree. Filtration is the schizzle.

@rebel: I do not know this Hannah Montana you speak of, but I will say that her name trips delightfully off the tongue.

Anonymous said...

Niece #2 would like to take a moment to appreciate her new internet fame and her uncle's lack of knowledge about Hannah Montana.

Michael5000 said...

@Niece #2: Too late. I Wikied her. I like that her big song -- her bland, bland song -- was a #1 hit on Disney Radio! and a, um, #92 hit on the real charts.