Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Great Movies: "Gone With the Wind"

At the Movies with Michael5000


Gone With the Wind
Victor Fleming, with scenes also directed by George Cukor, Sam Wood, William Cameron Menzies and Sidney Franklin, 1939


Previous Contact: I'd actually never seen Gone With the Wind before, except for twenty minutes worth in high school. It's only here so late in the series because there was a ginormous queue for not many copies at the library.

---

Gone With the Wind begins with a montage of sentimental images of the antebellum South behind these words:
There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South. Here in this pretty world, Gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind.
Happily, this turns out to have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual content of the film, but it is a disturbing way to kick things off and points a big, fat finger at what the problem is going to be for somebody who, like me, watches the movie for the first time in middle age. Seventy years old but looking twenty years younger -- it was a very early color movie -- Gone With the Wind can't help but embody the values of an earlier stage of our civilization, now gone with the wind. Cases in point are many. Arguments between the heroine and her slave are presented as comic relief: the heroine always wins because she owns the person she's arguing with, get it? Slavery, amIright?!? The men in the film are implicitly but favorably shown sneaking off to join the Klan. The heroine experiences a shockingly blunt marital rape, and likes it -- you know how women are. "Yankee Carpetbaggers" are portrayed with all the sensitivity to historical nuance that you might have expected from, say, George Wallace in 1963.

Now, I am very, very aware that this kind of thing is not the fairest yardstick with which to measure this film, and I want to refer you directly to Ebert's own review, which makes a nice argument for some of the film's progressive ideals at the time it was made. Scarlett O'Hara, he argues,
was a woman who wanted to control her own sexual adventures, and that is the key element in her appeal.... She was the symbol [for empowered women] the nation needed as it headed into World War II; the spiritual sister of Rosie the Riveter.

Scarlett O'Hara is indeed an interesting character. She shows a lot of strength and ability as a woman determined to forge some kind of viable existence in the chaos and turbulance of the Civil War and its aftermath. But she is tough to like, too, as someone whose refusal to acknowledge the nature of her own emotions leaves, like Sherman's army, a wide swath of human suffering in its wake. Well, she is supposed to be a complex character. The performance (by Vivien Leigh) is widely held to be an acting triumph, but here again I am in the wrong or at least the minority -- Leigh's acting seems stilted and amateurish to me (her accent, for instance, is all over the map).

Now, I have written all this at my own peril, as I was under considerable social pressure to like this movie. I am told that for many it casts an almost magical spell, creating a vividly romantic world where events of high and moving passion, tragedy, and excitement occur. I wanted to like it. And it goes without saying that, in disliking Gone With the Wind, I represent a thin minority among seven decades of moviegoers.


Plot: An episodic, highly romantic look at upper-class life in the American South before, during, and after the Civil War. A spoiled young woman is thwarted in her adolescent romantic plans and traumatized by the sack of Atlanta, and subsequently rules her own life and those of everyone around her with something of an iron fist. Her adventures and indiscretions create one emotionally fraught situation after another, and the movie is kind of like those sportscasts that only show the goals: every scene is a moment of high drama. Yet, it's like four hours long.

Visuals: Somewhat uneven, probably due to serious personnel problems in the movie's production (note the list of directors, above). Some extremely effective outdoor shots, especially an amazing one that pulls back from a few wounded men until it is showing a vast railroad yard full of thousands of hurt and dying Confederate soldiers. Lots of grand costume drama with fancy antebellum dresses too, if you are into that sort of thing.

Dialog: The problem with an episodic movie of such length is that the characters are always having to explain anew what's going on. It makes natural dialog hard -- although, having said that, the dialog writing really is pretty good. Lots of memorable lines and quotable speechifying.

Prognosis: Ah, hell, I dunno. It's a cultural literacy piece, if nothing else. I'm glad I saw it, if only because I understand a little chunk of American cultural history now that I didn't before. And, maybe you'll fall under the magical spell. Just because I didn't, doesn't mean you won't.

24 comments:

Elaine said...

You ought to read the book, which is a thumping-good pot-boiler--well-told, with much more complexity than the movie, which collapsed events, deleted many parts of the story, and necessarily left out much of the book's description of the Antebellum South.
Oh, look up when The KKK was formed (and where.) The vigilante groups were no better, of course, and were probably just an extension of the 'patrollers' in the pre-Civil War days (meaning they were bad enough without being the official Klan.)

Cartophiliac said...

Don't go there... Yes, the book includes a lot more detail than the movie... but it also includes plenty more of the parts you didn't like...

Jennifer said...

I'm with you about the movie, and I read the book, too, and was no more fond of it.

Reading your review, I can't help but think about Cleopatra in Antony and Cleopatra, which I'm teaching now; I'm often very nearly the only one in the room with any affection for Cleopatra at all, but I have really none for Scarlett, so now I'm trying to figure out why I like Cleopatra's brand of self-centeredness better. Maybe I'll pitch it to my class this morning.

At one point, I got Margaret Mitchell confused with Margaret Mead. I had some severe misapprehensions about anthropology for a while.

I think we all ought to acknowledge, however, that the name Scarlett rocks.

Elaine said...

Tsk, I just got up and idly Googled KKK, and the article I opened identified two KKKs--one during Reconstruction that was disbanded, and the second (the one I was referring to) which had a more durable life, alas.

I read GWTW when I was 16--maybe that helped. The movie was generally boring (big re-release in the early Sixties, with the Civil War centennial)...and Ashley? Could never see the casting of that dweebish actor....

blythe said...

this is where i point out margaret mitchell went to smith. yay literary smithies!

Michael5000 said...

A few more little quotes from the Ebert review:

The most thrilling struggle in ``GWTW'' is not between North and South, but between Scarlett's lust and her vanity.

I was reminded of that one by Jennifer's comment. "The most thrilling struggle in 'A&C' is not between Egypt and Rome, but between Cleopatra's lust and her vanity"? I dunno....

The movie comes from a world with values and assumptions fundamentally different from our own--and yet, of course, so does all great classic fiction, starting with Homer and Shakespeare. A politically correct ``GWTW'' would not be worth making, and might largely be a lie.

If we construe "politically correct" to mean "embodying the bland, platitude-level assumptions of our age" (a reasonable definition which, interestingly, encompasses the very concept of "political correctness"), Ebert is probably right. Somebody giving an honest shot an an unsentimental, historically correct "GWTW," though -- that would be awesome. Um, except that no one would want to watch it, I suppose.

Michael5000 said...

@Elaine: The immediate post-war Klan is well-known in movie dork circles because of "Birth of a Nation," a groundbreaking early silent film that, like "GWTW," glamourizes the upper-class Southern way of life and some of its less savory post-war doings.

@Blythe: A penny for your thoughts on "Gone With the Wind"?

The Calico Cat said...

I have never been able to sit through that movie & there have always been better (IMHO) tomes on the library shelves.

Rebel said...

While I agree with you that the movie is kind of the 'highlights reel' from the book... you only see the high drama parts. And the directing is problematic... there's a lot of variety in how scenes are shot.

But I disagree that the content doesn't follow the introductory lines. It was a land of knights & their ladies fair (Ashley & Melanie... although I might say their roles were reversed) and master & slave. Gone with the Wind is very much the story of that time ending, both on a political and cultural level, and on the very personal level of scarlet. Slaves are freed, plantations destroyed... that whole way of life is ended (and the Northerners / modern audiences can say Hurray!), and southern life becomes more focused on the rough & dirty cities than the wide sweeping country. Proper genteel ladies like Melanie are replaced by tough, strong (and in some cases bitchy) women like Scarlet.

It is told from a romantic, nostalgic perspective... but I think it's important to see that Scarlet is not exactly rewarded for her vanities. She survives, yes, and saves her sisters & Tara ... but she loses her mother, her father, a couple husbands, her children, and the only man who could really love her for who she is. She also loses what little connection she could have had with her community - the people she grew up with.

I guess that's the part that I think you and a few other folks who I know didn't like it are missing. It's not just "look at the pretty dresses, ain't slavery grand" it's a very complex story where the heros aren't always right, and the villians aren't always bad, and frail proper women can sometimes have the strength of steel inside them. Dude... when Melanie drags her brother's sword out to face the Yankee... COME ON!!! I cry every time.

Anyway... you're entitled to your opinion, but I still think you were watching it wrong. ;)

Michael5000 said...

@Rebel: An admirable and thought-provoking defense.

But I'm sorry, YOU'RE watching it wrong. : )

Jennifer said...

I asked both of my classes about possible connections between Antony and Cleopatra and Gone with the Wind, but only about one person in each class had seen GWTW, so the discussion didn't take off enough for me to get any good insight from it.

UnwiseOwl said...

The book is one of only three books I've ever had trouble finishing. Ms. O'Hara is just not a likable character, and that makes her adventures entirely uininteresting to me, even if the world it shows is fascinating. The others, in case you're wondering, are Lolita and Les Miserables. Lolita for the opposite reason as GWtW, I found myself sympathising with a character I despised, and it was creeping me out, and Les Mis because of the huge sections of junk about nothing to do with the story. One day I'll get back to them, but if the film is anything like the book I'm not exactly rushing to go out and see it.

UnwiseOwl said...

It's worth mentioning that I only ever read GWtW in the first place due to reading this blog, Mr5000, so I hold you personally responsible for my misery whilst reading it.

Jenners said...

You do write interesting movie reviews. I saw this so long ago ... I mostly remember that she made a dress out of curtains.

And, by the way, I'm publishing an old poem of yours on my blog that once appeared in "Without Permission." I surely hope you don't mind.

Michael5000 said...

@Unwise Owl: Wait, what? You read GWtW because of me? How did that work?

@Jenners: Wait, what? An old poem of mine? Sheeeeit....

UnwiseOwl said...

Aye. It appeared in the Judge a Book by it's Cover quiz earlier in the year. When I posted saying that I hadn't read it I wasn't told in no uncertain terms by a reader of your blog (I think it was Elaine, from memory) that I should read it, so I bought an old copy and went at it.
I blame you.

Elaine said...

Well, my apologies for recommending GWTW, the Book. After the first Harry Potter, I couldn't make myself finish the sequels; GWTW was at least THAT good.
Let's remember that finding a tale interesting does not mean one espouses the culture or the characters.

Michael5000 said...

I take full responsibility for this incident.

UnwiseOwl said...

Hrmm...a good point, Elaine. I found the culural aspects of the bokk fascinating, undoubtedly, and I'm a sucker for war stories, so it wasn't without good points, it's just that Ms. O'Hara infuriated me to the point of giving up. If it were a normal sized book I might have managed, but it's apporaching War and Peace, size-wise, that's too long to spend with someone you detest.

And you should, Michael, you should, it's entirely your fault. :D

Anything else you'd recommend to restore my faith in Classic American literature, Elaine?

Aviatrix said...

I was inspired to go off and rent it. I'm halfway through. I think you have to like the the costumes and the pageantry.

Elaine said...

@Unwise Owl
Well, I would not put GWTW in the pantheon of 'literature,' though I would label it 'good junk.' If, like me, you were forced to read -Look Homeward, Angel_ and _All the King's Men_ as a HS junior, both of those stand up very well to reading in one's maturity. Probably you've already read them. Zora Neale Hurston's _Their Eyes were Watching God_ also comes to mind. And in case you only ever saw the movie (which is often the fact these days) _Old Yeller_ and _Charlotte's Web_ are classics; fortunately for me, I could reread them often to my students (and later, to my children.)

Aviatrix said...

Rebel is right. It's a very complex movie with a lot of characters of different motivations and choices, and no one has a happy ending. Scarlett is a self-centred bitch, but she does whatever it takes to survive, in a Sophie's Choice "could I do that?" kind of way, and she keeps her promise.

UnwiseOwl said...

Of those, Elaine, I've only ever read Charlotte's web. In schools here there is a focus on Shakespeare and Australian literature (which is admittedly pretty damn lousy, for the most part), with little room left over for anything else apart from the occasional exploration of the sci-fi genre. I have a copy of All the Kings Men, so I guess that's next...

@Aviatrix,is her second wedding painted in a better light than in the book? It seems to me she jsut steals the guy out of spite, there's no Sophie's choice here. That's where I got sick of her, as she'd almost redeemed herself to me before that...

Elaine said...

@Unwise
Scarlett knows the money to pay the taxes on Tara is not going to come from Rhett....and she realizes Frank Kennedy has resources available. (IF he was that hot to marry Suellen, then he probably could have afforded that marriage, in fact.) Scarlett decides to charm Frank and marry him simply to save Tara (and incidentally, the lives that depend on its continuing existence.) Alas, she did not have much foresight-- why not talk Frank into taking Suellen and assisting her family with a loan?--but she was expedient, not actually cunning. Desperate times.... and remember, she's just fictional.