Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Infinite Art Tournament, First Elimination Round #7/128


Faceoff #1: Botero v. Boudin

Fernando Botero
born 1932
Colombian; works in France

Made a serious run at Botticelli -- yes, THAT Botticelli!! -- in Round 1. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!



-----

Eugène Boudin
1824 - 1898
French

Lost to François Boucher by a mere two votes in Round 1. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!!





Faceoff #2: Bourdelle v. Bouts

Antoine Bourdelle
1861 - 1929
French

Crushed by Louise Bourgeois in Round 1.



-----

Dieric Bouts
1457 - 1475
Netherlands

Lost to Australian surrealist Arthur Boyd in Round 1.





Vote for the two artists of your choice! Votes generally go in the comments, but have been known to arrive by email, by postcard, or in a sealed envelope.

Please note that you may vote only once in each face-off.  Opining that both of the artists in one of the two face-offs is superior to the other is fine, but casting your votes for two artists in the same face-off is not permissible.

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Boudin (the artist named for a sausage, not the one who paints people who look like them) and Bouts (because the ends justify the miens).

lamanyana said...

2 votes for for Botero and Bourdelle from me and Nichim waiting for a plane in JFK

Morgan said...

Botero/Bouts for me. Although Botero is the only one that I'm really impressed with.

Mm Mud said...

Botero's pictures stay stuck more so and Bouts since the sculptures aren't doing it for me this time.

Chuckdaddy said...

Botero! And... Bourdelle? Not really a fan of either of the last two

pfly said...

Botero, who I hadn't heard of before this tournament and am now a fan of, and...

Bouts, because although that archer statue is pretty cool, so is that first Bouts, the opening box like one. Plus he did one of the severed head of St. John the Baptist, which tickles my Salome gene.

Nichim said...

Actually, on second (and less utterly sleep-deprived) thought, I'd like to change my second vote to Bouts. I like the hats and tiles.

mrs.5000 said...

I'm going with Boudin, because I prefer a well-painted seascape to Botero's inert fat people shtick.

And I'm going with Bourdelle, because that archer is hot.

Candida said...

Botero and Bouts.

Leonardo Piccioni said...

Botero and Bourdelle.

Michael5000 said...

A vote-by-mail for Boudin.

Michael5000 said...

Oh look, ~I~ never voted. I'm going with the boring seascape guy, because I do not at all grock Botero, although certainly I'll keep trying based on his considerable support in this forum; and Bouts, because pretty.

Michael5000 said...

So that will be Botero over Boudin, 8-4, and Boudin bows out of the Tourney. Botero will take on Louise Bourgeois in a late 20th Century smackdown, starting Tuesday. You can still weigh in on Bouts/Bourdelle if you like.

Michael5000 said...

No? Very well: Bouts takes Bourdelle 7-4. Bouts will be up against Boucher later this week, and alas! it is bye-bye Bourdelle from the Infinite Art Tournament.